Jess turned 19 and now I'm a mature adult




So, yes, my first born just celebrated her 19th birthday - and had a really fun day! And while she was extremely excited to celebrate her birthday, I was feeling something... a little different. Not because I don't love celebrating her birthday (I do), but because suddenly, for the first time in my life, I was feeling like a real, actual, proper adult. Like 'grown up'. Mature even. *shockandhorror* Because, you guys, mature, real adult women have 19 year old kids!  And okay, I'm getting old.

Anyway, there it was - my somewhat sobering realisation: I'm not young anymore. I mean, when Jess turned 18 last year, I thought I was still relatively young and 'with it', but 19 has definitely taken things to the next level for me. 19 has turned out to be, what I'm going to call from now on: my quiet awakening. I now know that this feeling-more-mature thing has obviously been seeping gently into me while I wasn't paying attention and now that it's suddenly dawned on me, I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I'm the mother of a 19 year old and although I'm not actually that old - I'm still the mother of a 19 year old, you guys!

So there's that.

And I guess it didn't help matters that I turned another year older just a few days later; and that my third child, (my baby, you guys), became a teenager a few days after that. (That post coming soon.) Have you guys experienced this sudden awakening or was yours a more gradual realisation? Or were you always mature? ;)

Birthday season, you're a bag of laughs!


This year, Jess decided that she wanted a BEEEEG cake to celebrate her last year of being a teenager and so my mom and I whipped up this beauty. And by 'whipped up' I mean we slaved over this beauty. Ahem. 

My mom and I make a great baking team. And just to be clear, by 'my mom and I' I really mean my mom because she has a lot of experience when it comes to baking and I'm merely her icing sidekick, to be totally honest. 

We had the best afternoon icing and decorating this cake - we laughed, gasped and improvised big time, and I can truly say that this cake was a labour of love. (And do you see those colourful pebbly bits on the cake? That's popping candy and I think I'm in love.)





Happy Birthday to my darling girl. You rock. And 19 really suits you.

Love from your (mostly) mature mom.

PS Clean your room.

xx


4 comments

  1. Yes we are maturing, like a fine wine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You describe my sudden shock perfectly! I couldn't quite understand why the difference from 18 to 19 is so big but it really is. They are "adulting" much more now which pushes us into that next class of "mature adulting".

    Damn does that mean I have to act mature too :-)
    I mean I have been the baby of the family and too young all my life ... and now that world view is dead.

    Gorgeous girl and fab cake. Most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! :) Never stop being young at heart and fun. :D

      Delete